What is the impact of Covid-19 on the American economy?
In Module 7, you will write a cause and effect Toulmin argument essay from the Cause and Effect Toulmin Argument Thesis/Outline Assignment that you submitted in Module 6. In this final essay in the course, you will synthesize the skills you have learned to form a strong argument and incorporate them into the Toulmin model cause and effect essay. This assignment will allow you to demonstrate how you have developed in your documentation style usage and critical thinking skills. You will also use the research strategies that you have learned throughout the term to locate your own outside source material to develop your cause and effect Toulmin argument in your essay. This final essay assignment in the course can be an indicator of what you have learned and areas in which you may still need to grow as you work to complete your academic requirements and reach your professional goals.
Review chapter 15 in the textbook for the sample cause and effect Toulmin argument essay written in the documentation style for your major course of study. Using the sample and your outline from Module 6, write an ethical essay using the Toulmin model of argument in which you address the question in the prompt. The research sources for this essay have not been provided for you. All sources that you use must be credible academic sources. You may include biblical support, but your biblical support does not count in the required citations.
- Prompt: (Choose 1) What is the impact of technology in the American workplace? or What is the impact of Covid-19 on the American economy?
- Write a 1,200–1,500-word proposal essay using the Rogerian Model of argument in which you address the question in the prompt. (Title page, citations, and reference section should not be included in word count.)
- Document your sources correctly according to your documentation style (Current APA, MLA, or Turabian).
- Integrate at least 4 quotations, 1 summary, and 1 paraphrase (6 total) into your essay from at least 3 credible sources to support your thesis statement and provide opposing arguments.
- Chapter 3 in Module 6 includes information about the Toulmin model of argument.
- Chapter 15 in Module 6 includes sample student essays for a cause and effect (Toulmin) essay written in each of the documentation styles (APA, MLA, and Turabian).
- Review the Proofreading Checklist (below) to understand the content that you must include in your essay assignment.
- Review the Cause and Effect Toulmin Argument Essay Assignment Grading Rubricin the course before submitting your essay assignment.
|Learn Application||Successful||Needs Revision|
|1. Introduction: Establishes a context for the argument by explaining the need to examine causes or to consider effects; states the essay’s thesis/claim (Make sure you address one of the prompt questions.)|
|2. Background: Gives an overview of the situation|
|3. Evidence/Grounds: discusses less important causes or effects|
|4. Evidence/Grounds: discusses major causes or effects|
|5. Evidence/Grounds: Integrates at least 4 quotes, 1 summary, and 1 paraphrase from at least 3 outside sources|
|6. Analysis/Backing: Explanation of how the evidence supports the thesis statement/topic sentences|
|7. Qualifier: demonstrates limits to the argument or shows that it is not always true in all situations.|
|8. Counter Claims/ Opposing Arguments: Considers other possible causes or effects|
|9. Rebuttal/Refutation: Addresses counterclaims and how they may be addressed within the scope of your argument.|
|10. Conclusion: Reinforces the argument’s main point; includes a strong concluding statement|
|11. Contains pathos (emotional) appeals, ethos (values/belief) appeals, and/or logos (factual) appeals as appropriate|
|12. Title reflects issue and proposal information|
|13. Uses only third person pronouns (all first and second person pronouns have been removed)|
|14. If using current APA format, contains properly formatted, title, abstract, and References page.
If using MLA format, contains a properly formatted Works Cited page
If using Turabian format, contains a properly formatted title page and Bibliography page
|15. Double spaced; 12-point Times New Roman font|
|16. Uses signal phrases and appropriate transitions|
|15. References/Works Cited/ Bibliography page includes all sources cited within the body of the essay|
|17. Checked spelling, grammar/mechanics|
When you are satisfied with the quality of your essay, submit in the course via the Turnitin link for grading. Include your degree program and whether you are using current MLA, APA, or Turabian in the document’s title when submitting your essay.
IMPORTANT: Fully cite all quotations, summaries, and paraphrases used within your essay, or those excerpts will be regarded as plagiarism and will result in a “0” on your essay and possible course failure.
Note: Your assignment will be checked for originality via the SafeAssign plagiarism tool.