Sun City Boards, which you first read about in the Why It Matters (Links to an external site.) and Putting It Together (Links to an external site.) sections of the Planning and Mission module, has moved rapidly
forward in its planning and organizational structure and improvements. The company now employs 17
people in key sales, manufacturing, and financial positions. Sun City is now approaching the
accomplishment of one of its key goals: to implement an e-commerce platform for the sale of their boards to a broader market.
Tom Wilson, the CEO, heard from his business advisor that a team implementation would be a good idea.
Tom likes to critique the performance of his favorite football team, the Miami Dolphins, but he has no idea how a team should perform in his company.
You are a new member of the Sun City management team, and because of your previous experience with a popular e-commerce platform, Tom has asked you to lead a team of employees in the implementation
effort. Assume it’s mid-June, and you are given full access to personnel in the organization. You are
asked to achieve the following implementation goals:
- Have the e-commerce platform up and running by year-end, with new sales to be generated at the first of the year.
- Implement the new platform within the cost parameters provided by the CEO.
- Ensure all existing and new inventory of surfboards are accounted for in the new system.
- Come back to Tom Wilson with your team plan by the end of the week.
In this assignment, you will prepare your team plan for presentation to Tom Wilson. Your plan will include
your team composition and team type. You will also describe what you anticipate happening in the life
cycle of the team and how you will effectively achieve your team goals. The following steps will help you
prepare for your written assignment:
- Thoroughly read the Groups, Teams, and Teamwork module.
- Carefully consider the types of teams, qualities of effective teams, and their stages of performance as described in the reading. Consider effective (or ineffective) teams you have been part of in your
- school or work life.
- Review the information above on Sun City Boards and the goals for the team you are to lead.
- Anticipate what might be some performance challenges for you as the leader.
Prepare your team plan for Tom Wilson. Write a three-paragraph (minimum) plan describing how your
team will function and how you will approach your team goals. Your description can include illustrations
and charts to clearly explain your expectations for the team’s progress. Although you don’t have specific employee names, you may make assumptions as to the skills or responsibilities of team members you
would like to include on the project. Convince Tom Wilson that your team will perform well and achieve
I HAVE CHOSEN A VIRTUAL TEAM
Virtual teams are groups of individuals working together with a common purpose but from
different locations. People may be in different time zones or even different organizations. The
obvious advantage of a virtual team is the low cost, both in time and money to maintain it. Meeting
in virtual time increases flexibility for the members (no need to get dressed before the meeting!) and allows the organization to use the talent of people from around the globe. The idea of virtual teams
is relatively new. However, according to the IQVIS management consulting firm, virtual teams have grown 80 percent in business use from 2005 to 2015. Virtual teams are possible thanks to
advances in communications and technology, such as e-mail, the World Wide Web (Internet), videoconferencing, and other products.