It is important for nurse leaders to engage with other nurse leaders to understand professional roles; a practice experience is assigned to achieve this end. It is expected that you will spend 8-10 hours with the nurse leader, shadowing them in their position, observing them go about their day, and interviewing them. The interview can take place before, during, or after the shadow period or can be on a different day.
**All students are to submit a completed Practice Hour Log of at least 8-10 hours into the Mod 6 dropbox. Note: Students who hold an RN license in the state of Washington must complete a minimum of 10 hours of practice experience as noted on their Log. Upload the Log as a separate document. **
You will engage with and interview a nurse leader in person. You should begin thinking about this activity as soon as possible and identify how you will identify and gain access to the interview. You may include photos, graphs, or charts.
I choose a nurse leader who holds a leadership nursing position in their organization who have direct reports (they supervise other employees). I chose a Director of Nursing for a Skilled Nursing Facility in Texas.
Develop an interview guide before conducting the interview. Identify information that you want to know before the interview and plan clarifying questions. You must include at least one question about technology/informatics.
Conduct an interview regarding their professional role in the organization, and a current health care issue that is of interest to you (ethics, conflict management, budget, staffing, the culture of safety, “just culture”, career advancement, quality improvement, etc.). Identify the name of the organization and use the name of who you interviewed (Joy Mann Perez).
Prepare a written report of the interview.
Required questions below. Feel free to add to the list below but these questions must be asked to your interviewee and answered.
- Please describe the nursing and inter-professional teams that operate in this facility/on this unit.
- Can you provide an example of a nursing practice that has been changed in the last year based on current best evidence?
- Please identify the impact of change within your organization and your role as leader/manager in this change process
- Please identify strategies used for fiscal and human resources that contribute to the organization’s ability to deliver quality cost-effective patient-centered care
- What do you consider your biggest challenge as a leader/manager?
- What do you love most about your job?
- Why did you choose this job?
- What other kinds of nursing/other job did you ever do?
- How would you describe your company’s culture?
- How would you describe your role in admission and staffing decisions?
- What is your leadership style?
M6 Assignment UMBO – 1, 2, 3
M6 Assignment PLG – 1, 6
M6 Assignment CLO – 3, 7, 8
- Length: 1500 to 1750 words in length; Upload log Separately
- Structure: Include a title page and reference page in APA format. These do not count towards the minimum word count for this assignment. Your essay must include an introduction and a conclusion.
- References: Use appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. Your essay should have at least two scholarly references in addition to the textbook. Please be sure to cite the interview in APA format.
Although the term “leader” and “manager” might sound synonymous, there is a difference between being a leader and being a manager, and between leadership theories and management styles. This week, we will explore the differences and similarities in these roles, and you will begin to consider how you can excel at both.
- Describe the difference between leading and managing and why both are important.
- Analyze the skills needed for effective leading and managing.
University Mission Based Outcomes – 1, 2, 3
Program Learning Goals – 1, 6
Course Learning Objectives – 2, 5
AACN Baccalaureate Essential I: Liberal education for baccalaureate generalist nursing practice
AACN Baccalaureate Essential II: Basic organizational and systems leadership for quality care and patient safety
AACN Baccalaureate Essential VII: Clinical prevention and population health
AACN Baccalaureate Essential VIII: Professionalism and professional nursing values
AACN Baccalaureate Essential IX: Baccalaureate generalist nursing practice
- Weiss, S. A. & Tappen, R. M. (2015). Essentials of nursing leadership and management (6th ed.). F.A. Davis Company. Read chapters 1 and 2.