How are humans and animals different?
. How are humans and animals different? On the basis of the distinction you draw, specify our
resulting moral obligations. You may discuss eating and food if you wish. Alternatively: treat the
relevant similarities between humans and animals.
2. Do differences between humans and animals necessarily entail hierarchical treatment, where
members of one group are treated better than members of the other? Make a general claim
about conflict in environmental ethics on the basis of your response.
3. Take up an environmental issue you care about and devise a thesis that uses an ecofeminist
framework to evaluate and better understand that issue. Possible questions to answer include:
What would an ecofeminist have to offer? What does an ecofeminist fail to consider?
4. Articulate a position on the question of either the ethics of food production and distribution or
the ethics of consumer diet in the US and incorporate a critique of capitalism in your argument.
Alternatively, incorporate a defense of capitalism in your argument.
1. A clear thesis statement and ensuing discussion. Describes a philosophical conversation
regarding your topic and places your own views successfully within that conversation.
2. Strong argumentation for your point of view.
3. Rhetorical flags of use to the reader; a strong overall narrative. This means that I am led
along throughout your paper with signal phrases, topic sentences, and carefully–formed
4. Complete and careful analysis of at least one philosopher’s views; demonstrates a strong
grasp of the views of the philosopher named in the prompt you chose or the thesis you
5. Excellent use of primary material. Integrates the information you pull from your sources
into your argumentation insightfully.
6. Thoughtful treatment of at least one objection or “naysayer.”
7. A clear conclusion; the conclusion attends to the initial problem (summarizes or
reiterates one’s point of view) and doesn’t leave any loose ends or introduce new
8. A correct and complete citation style; grammatical errors, poor sentence construction,
and typos are at an absolute minimum or completely avoided.