Health Behavior Data Set
In this assignment you will use SPSS to explore the data and conduct descriptive statistics, create frequency charts, recode variables, and create new variables.
For this assignment, utilize SPSS Statistics and the Topic 2 “Health Behavior Data Set.”
Refer to the topic resources for assistance with accessing and using SPSS.
Follow the steps below to complete the assignment.
- Import the Excel file into SPSS.
- Sort by age in SPSS to determine the age-range of participants in the data set.
- Use the Descriptive Statistics Feature in SPSS to find the mean and standard deviation for the “Age” and “Annual Income.”
- Use the “Frequencies” feature to create frequency tables for the employed, education level and sex variables.
- Recode the sex variable where “Male”=1 and “Female”=2. Create a frequency table for the new variable.
- Compute a new “BMI” variable based on “Weight” and “Height.” Use the Descriptive Statistics Feature in SPSS to find the mean and standard deviation for the new BMI variable.
In 200-250 words, compare Excel and SPSS. Discuss specific SPSS software features that make it preferable to Excel for data management. Provide examples illustrating when electing to use SPSS could be preferable to Excel in regard to analyzing survey data.