Disease Prevention Teaching Project
Step 1: Choose a community health agency (day care, church, school, clinic, homeless shelter).
Step 2: Review Table 1-1 (p. 49) of Community/Public Health Nursing and the results of your windshield survey completed in Week 2.
From the results of your windshield survey, you will identify a health issue facing the community. You will prepare an outline for a teaching project surrounding the issue, which you would present to your selected agency about this issue.
Assess the community for:
- Healthy food option
- Housing and zoning
- Open space
- Social service centers
- Stores, businesses, and industries
- Street people and animals
- Condition of the area
- Race, culture, and ethnicity
- Health indicators and morbidity
- Signs of decay
- Crime rate
- Employment rate
- Environmental factors
- Public services (fire, police)
Step 3: Recommend an appropriate disease prevention teaching project that could be offered by your chosen agency for the local community.
Prepare a 750-word summary of the teaching project. Include the following:
- Summarize the public health issues facing the selected community.
- Select 1 issue and prepare an outline of the problem or issue faced.
- Explain how your selected agency could address the issue.
- Prepare an outline of a disease prevention teaching project that could be offered by your agency.